I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited about posting a recipe! These are a sweet, chewy, creamy and coconutty delight! I’ve been wanting to try my hand at homemade protein bars for some time, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to use to hold them together. After some searching, I came upon the idea of using coconut butter. Fortunately for me, I had bought a jar of coconut butter quite some time ago, and it has just been sitting in my cabinet waiting for these beauties!
I knew with the first bite that I had hit upon something golden! When I was trying to decide what to call them, my husband suggested I call them “I Want Some More” Bars – because that is what he is always saying when these are around! Seriously, the first batch I made was GONE in less than ten minutes, and my kids (and husband) were asking when I was going to make more.
These little gems are packed full of good-for-you ingredients. Coconut, coconut oil, protein powder & collagen – all power house ingredients that will treat your body right and make your taste buds sing at the same time!
They are super easy to make – just throw everything in your food processor and give it a whirl! These don’t have as much protein as a store bought bar, but they are still decent (and don’t have any questionable ingredients). For an even easier recipe check out my Loaded Peanut Butter Protein Bars!
I got 8 bars from this recipe (16 of the smaller ones pictured). Each bar has 14.5 grams of protein (the smaller ones would have just over 7). The protein comes from the rich protein powder and the collagen hydrolysate. (Don’t let that big word scare you! If you are unsure about what collagen is or its benefits, check out this article.)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (I used Artisana 100% Organic Raw Coconut Butter – 14 oz )
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons protein powder. (I used Jay Robb – Egg White Protein Powder, Outrageously Delicious, Vanilla, but I’m sure the THM Pristine Whey would work equally well!)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons collagen hydrolysate
- 1/4 cup THM Gentle Sweet
- 1-3 teaspoons vanilla (I only used 1 since I had vanilla protein powder. If using plain powder, I would add 2-3 teaspoons.)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Lily’s Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and process until thoroughly combined.
- Place into desired mold or roll between parchment. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Place in freezer to harden
- Cut into desired shapes (or remove from molds) and store in the refrigerator.
I used a silicone mini loaf pan, then cut the bars in half. (The photos show mini bars – cut into fourths) I will soon be investing in a Bar Silicone Baking Mold – because I will be making a lot more of these!
I put the chocolate chips in the bottom of the loaf pan, then put the protein bar “batter” on top. It’s totally up to you how you want to do that!
I think these would be portable up to several hours, but they definitely soften as they come to room temperature, so keep that in mind!
This post contains affiliate links, which provide me with a small commission when you purchase an item through those links. It all goes to the support of my family (and this blog). Thank you for your support!