We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A soft and dense chewy coconut cookie filled with a decadent salted caramel sauce.
I don’t know that I would think of salted caramel and coconut as a pair, but in this cookie they are pretty amazing! The cookies themselves are dense and chewy, with a rich coconut flavor. Then there is the caramel sauce – a rich bite of salted caramel goodness with every bite!
Don’t you want to go and make them right now? I realize that posting a cookie recipe on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day may seem like a silly idea. But hey, people like cookies after Christmas too, right? Especially healthy, low carb and sugar free ones!
My husband is my first taste tester, and if it gets a thumbs up from him, I know it is a winner. It’s not that he is a picky eater, but he often prefers the carby, sugar-laden treats instead. (But yes, he is doing the Trim Healthy Mama Plan with me!) I had made these cookies in the morning while he was away and they were sitting on the counter in the kitchen. Later in the afternoon I hear “Oh Wow!” from the kitchen. He was tasting the cookies!
My kids even got in on this recipe. It is easy for them to roll the cookie dough balls in the coconut and place them on the baking tray. (By the way, these cookies passed the test for both my 7 and 9 year olds!)
Bottom line is this: you need to make these cookies! And maybe I’ve changed my mind about caramel and coconut – they go together quite perfectly!
This recipe was adapted from this original Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel Recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which provide me with a small compensation when you purchase your products through my links. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to sign up with your email address so you can receive all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox! (Look for the sign-up box on the right sidebar if you are on a desktop, or at the very bottom of this post if you are using a mobile device.) Also, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter!
For the Caramel Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Xylitol
- 1/2 Tablespoon Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coarse Salt
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and xylitol well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and coconut flour and mix until well combined. (The dough should be a little stiff, similar to sugar cookie dough.)
- Using a Small Cookie Scoop (equal to 1 Heaped Tablespoon), form the dough into balls and roll in the coconut.
- Place on a silicone mat (or parchment) on a baking tray.
- Using your thumb, make an indention in the middle of each cookie dough ball. The dough may crack a bit, just do your best to push it back together.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
For the Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and xylitol.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, whisking often so it does not scorch.
- Remove from heat and add heavy whipping cream.
- Allow caramel sauce to cool completely, until it begins to thicken. (I put mine out on the cold front porch for about 15 minutes.)
Assembling the cookies
- When sauce has thickened, pour approximately 1 teaspoon of caramel sauce into each thumbprint.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt.
Subscribe and receive a download of my top 5 Recipes!
Subscribe to get my latest recipes by email.