I know very few people in this world who do not like (love) pizza. There are a few – but the majority of us love our pizza! The chewy crust, rich sauce, oozing cheese, and yes, even the greasy pepperoni (gasp)!
I sometimes ask people, “When you think of eating healthy/going on a ‘diet,’ what are some of the foods you think you should give up?” Pizza is invariably one of the first mentioned! Then I delight in telling them that you CAN have pizza (and chocolate cake, cheesecake, buffalo wings, ect.)! The Trim Healthy Mama plan is amazing!
Many people who are familiar with THM have no doubt heard of the famous “bagel dog dough.” No doubt, it is amazing! If you haven’t yet tried the bagel dogs, I highly recommend them! You can find that original recipe here. Please go check it out – you won’t be sorry!
The recipe I am going to share with you today is a THM variation on that dough. I have been wanting to try the THM baking blend with this recipe for some time, and I was not disappointed.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup THM Baking Blend
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Toppings/filling of choice
- In microwaveable container, melt shredded cheese and cream cheese until completely melted.
- Using a food processor dough blade, combine melted mixture with egg, Baking Blend, almond flour and Italian seasoning. Process until dough sticks together. (If you do not have a food processor, you can do this step by hand – the key is to have a homogenous dough)
- Place dough on parchment paper and another piece of parchment paper on top. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out in a rectangle shape.
- Place filling of choice in center of dough (cheese, pepperoni, sausage, hamburger, vegetables, olives – whatever you like).
- Using a sharp knife, make small diagonal cuts on outer thirds of dough (see photo below).
- Fold ends over, then fold the diagonal pieces over dough.
- Move parchment paper (and Stromboli) to a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425F for 15-18 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
While I am not going to say this tastes “just like carb-laden Stromboli,” I will say this is an amazing recipe – and a great replacement when you are craving Stromboli! For people following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan, this is an S.
Serve with a side of Marinara sauce for dipping, and a large side salad, and you have dinner!
If calzones are your thing, check out my Sausage & Cheese Calzone recipe!
This post contains affiliate links, which provide me with a small commission when you purchase something through these links. Thank you!