We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Low-carb mug cakes are great to whip up when you get a sweet craving but don't want to make a whole cake. This mug cake recipe is a gluten-free and delicious chocolate cake that is low carb so no guilt follows!
Perfect as a Trim Healthy Mama S fuel or for anyone eating low carb or eliminating sugar from their diet.
It takes just minutes to make this low-carb chocolate mug cake. This mug cake recipe is made with almond flour, cocoa powder, mayonnaise, beaten egg, baking powder and sweetener and is such a great recipe to have in your hand when you need a sweet treat quickly!
Sugary desserts will have no hold on you when you can enjoy the best mug cake in less than 5 minutes!
How to Make Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- Start by adding your dry ingredients to a microwave-safe coffee mug or glass. Mix to combine.
- Next, you will add the egg, mayonnaise, and water. Make sure to stir well.
- Let the batter sit for 2 minutes. This is needed to help the cake batter set up and thicken a bit.
- Microwave as directed, and then serve warm! (full instructions are in the recipe card below)
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
- Macadamia nuts, slivered almonds, etc.
- Nut butter or peanut butter
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup, caramel, hot fudge, etc. (Just use a sugar-free recipe to keep it low carb.)
- Whipped cream
- A drizzle of heavy cream
- Sugar-Free vanilla ice cream
Possible additions to keto mug cake:
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
- Almond extract
- Peanut butter powder
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped sugar-free marshmallows
Can I use a different type of sweetener?
If you do not want to use monk fruit sweetener you can use any other type of sugar-free sweetener.
If using Gentle Sweet, I would recommend using 2 Tablespoons.
Oven instructions for a mug cake
You can also bake this mug cake recipe in the oven.
Just preheat your oven to 350F degrees and spray an oven-safe ramekin with cooking spray. Pour your batter into the greased ramekin and bake for 10-12 minutes or until done.
Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and then enjoy!
This low-carb chocolate mug cake is great to whip up when you get a sweet craving but don't want to make a whole cake.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT KETO MUG CAKES:
Why did my mug cake explode?
If your mug cake exploded, it was probably overcooked. When microwaving the cake, make sure to watch it closely and not overcook it. (And make sure you are using a microwave-safe mug or glass.
What makes a mug cake rise?
The main ingredient that makes a mug cake rise is the egg and in some instances, baking powder. This mug cake recipe uses both!
Can I make a mug cake without mayonnaise?
Yes, you can make a mug cake without mayonnaise but it will change the texture of the cake.
If you do not want to use mayonnaise, you can try using Greek yogurt or sour cream instead. These both have a similar consistency to mayonnaise and will work well in this recipe.
You could probably even use melted butter or coconut oil, but I have not personally tried that yet.
Can I make this chocolate mug cake as a vanilla cake?
Yes, you can make this recipe as a vanilla cake by omitting the cocoa powder and adding 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
How long does a mug cake take to cook?
Cook time will vary, depending on the power of your microwave, but mug cakes usually take about 1-2 minutes to cook.
One way to tell for sure your keto mug cake recipe is perfectly cooked is to stick a toothpick in the mug cake. If it comes out clean, your keto chocolate cake is done!
Can I add frosting to my mug cake?
Yes, you can add frosting to your mug cake after it has cooled.
Just be sure to use a sugar-free frosting to keep it low carb - this Coconut Oil Chocolate Frosting sounds delicious! (And the coconut oil has a great thermogenic effect on your body!)
More Keto Cake recipes:
More Low Carb Mug Cakes to try:
Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake
- Place the dry ingredients into a microwave safe mug or jar. Use a fork to blend.
- Add the mayonnaise, egg, and water, stirring to blend thoroughly.
- Allow the batter to rest for 2 minutes.
- Microwave for 50 seconds.
- Serve with sugar-free chocolate syrup, sugar-free caramel syrup, whipped topping, and/or chopped nuts.