We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Melt in your mouth chicken, covered in a rich creamy sauce with fresh basil. An easy weeknight supper that's sure to impress!
The first time I ever remember using fresh basil was in a homemade Parmesan meatball recipe. Oh, those meatballs were so good!
I grew up using the dried basil. But once I tasted the fresh, I knew my life was changed. Ok, that may be an exaggeration, but I knew I loved fresh basil!
Fast forward to one week ago. I was grocery shopping on Tuesday, as I always do, when I came across a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs marked down at Walmart. Total price - $3.24. That sounded like a pretty good deal to me, so I picked them up and my mind immediately began whirling! Cream cheese, cream, and fresh basil! Yes!
This recipe is the product of that whirling. The sauce is much like a cream-cheese based Alfredo and it tastes delicious. I actually made it again this week with boneless skinless chicken breast and we ate it as Alfredo with Dreamfields pasta. The fresh basil just kicks it up a notch.
My husband was so impressed with the sauce, that he immediately began coming up with other uses for it. (Perhaps some of those ideas will become future recipes!) He declares it is the best Alfredo sauce I have ever made (and I wasn't even intending for it to be Alfredo)! He would have been happy to just eat the sauce with a spoon!
I'm sure your family will love it just as much as mine. It doesn't require any special ingredients, and it is super easy to put together.
- 2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 8 ounce Block of Cream Cheese softened
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese from the green can
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mineral Salt
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Basil lightly packed
- Garlic Powder and Italian Seasoning to taste
- Season chicken on both sides with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- In a skillet, brown chicken with a small amount of oil until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce-pot, melt softened cream cheese and butter. Whisk with a whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, whipping cream, Parmesan, and salt to cream cheese mixture.
- Add chopped fresh basil to sauce and stir until combined.
- Remove chicken from skillet, and drain drippings.
- Return chicken to pan, and pour sauce over top.
This post contains affiliate links which provide me with a small commission when you make a purchase through those links. The profits go to the support of my family and this blog. Thank you!