We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
5 Ingredients are all that is needed for this quick and easy candied bacon. I use sugar-free brown sugar for a sugar-free version! Sweet and savory collide in this candy bacon recipe. Learn how to make candied bacon today.
Homemade candy bacon makes a fantastic party snack, topper for a sandwich, and more. A highly addictive party snack everyone will want one more slice.
What Is Candied Bacon
Candy bacon is also called pig candy. It is thick cut bacon that is covered in brown sugar, pepper, and a dash of rice vinegar. Cooked to a crispy texture that offers sweet and savory.
How to Make Candied Bacon
Start by preheating your oven and prepping your pan. I find placing aluminum foil in the pan helps for a quick and easy cleanup.
Grab a small bowl and you will want to add in your sugar free brown sugar, sugar free maple syrup, vinegar, and pepper. Give it a good mix until well combined.
Place your bacon in a single row all across the baking sheet. Don't overlap or it will cause uneven baking. Cook for 10 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Remove the bacon from the oven and brush with the sugar mixture and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. It will kind of carmalize on top of the bacon. Flip the bacon and baste again.
You want to repeat the flipping and basting until the bacon is fully cooked, browned, and the glaze forms on the bacon.
Remove from the oven and and let cool and then serve. This sugar bacon is really delicious, I think you guys will enjoy it.
Can I Double Sugar Bacon Recipe
If you want to double this recipe for the sugar bacon go right ahead. You might need to batch cook the bacon.
You can make extra when serving a crowd and it will always be delicious! Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
What Is The Best Bacon To Use
You will want a thicker cut bacon. If you do thin you will find it cooks really fast and won't hold the right texture you are looking for in this candied recipe. It won't have that chew and sticky texture you want.
So look for any brand of thick cut bacon to use.
Want More Easy Appetizers To Serve Guests
- Low Carb Pepperoni Dip | Pepperoni takes center stage in this low carb cheesy dip. Great to pair with crisp vegetables, crackers, or even chips.
- BLT Bites | Check out these easy BLT bites. They are so simple to whip up, and offer that savory and refreshing flavor. Crisp cucumber piled high with bacon and more.
- Smoky Deviled Eggs | Here is a fun twist to a classic deviled egg recipe. You have a liquid smoke-infused deviled egg that is loaded with protein.
How to Store Bacon
If you have leftovers just allow your bacon to fully cool. Then place in a sealable bag or even airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
You can eat your leftover candy bacon cold or toss in the microwave for a quick reheat. I actually don't mind it chilled. Don't over re-heat or it can burn the outside.
Does Candy Bacon Freeze Well
This bacon can indeed be frozen. Just allow to cool and place in a proper freezer container. Store for up to three months.
Thaw in the fridge or go straight to heating up in the microwave to warming it up. Always use your best judgement in terms of quality of food when you go to eat it after being frozen.
Candied Bacon - Sugar Free
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier clean up. Place an oven-safe rack over the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar substitute, rice vinegar, sugar free maple syrup, and black pepper (if using).
- Place bacon on the rack. Cook for 10 minutes. Using tongs, carefully flip the slices, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and flip again. Brush the top with the brown sugar mixture. Return bacon to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush again with the “brown sugar syrup”. Repeat flipping and basting every 5 minutes until bacon is browned and crisp, about 30 to 35 minutes total.