We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Blueberry Salad is a crisp bed of greens topped with chicken, chopped walnuts, sliced red onions, blueberries, and more drizzled with a homemade dressing.
If you are looking for a light but refreshing chicken salad, this blueberry chicken salad is a must make. The blue cheese next to the chicken really pairs perfectly.
Chicken Blueberry Salad
This super food salad, is studded with fresh, brightly flavored blueberries. Every bite is incredible. If you love fruit in your salad, give this salad recipe a try.
Blueberries | I highly recommend using fresh berries in your salad. If you are in a bind and can't get fresh, you could thaw and toss in some frozen berries. Blueberries are full of antioxidants, manganese, fiber, and so much more. These dark blueberries are the perfect fruit to toss in your salad.
Greens | The base of the salad is fresh crisp greens. I used a mixed salad greens mixture I picked up at the store. But you could swap for spinach leaves or any other of your favorite greens. You could even dice up and toss some kale in for added texture and flavor.
Chicken and Dressing| The chicken is marinaded in the dressing you are going to pour over the salad. This is a sugar-free dressing that gives you that savory flavor with a hint of sweetness. The poppy seeds add such dimension to the salad dressing.
If you happen to have leftover chicken from say a rotisserie chicken, you could use that in place of cooking up fresh chicken.
Salad Toppings | Red onions, avocado, blueberries, blue cheese, are all great topping options. I even used crushed walnuts to add a nice crunch to the salad.
You can omit any of the toppings or swap if you don't have them on hand. I love a variety of ingredients in a salad to really add a flavor explosion.
Can I Make The Dressing In Advance
You are more than welcome to make this sugar-free poppy seed dressing in advance of making the salad. You could make it a day or two in advance. Then before marinating your chicken or topping the salad, give it a whisk and you'll be good to go!
The sugar free salad dressing is so easy to make, it comes together in minutes. But if you want to prep for dinner before you head out the door, go right ahead.
How To Grill Chicken
Grab a meat thermometer and use that to probe the chicken to check the internal temperature. You want the chicken to read 165 degrees. Once your chicken is ready, pull it off the grill and place on a platter. Use aluminum foil to create a tent.
Let the chicken rest. Allowing your chicken to rest before slicing and placing it on your salad helps to keep the juice in the chicken. That way when you go to slicing, you have a juicy flavorful chicken, instead of dry.
Craving More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Salad | Greek yogurt and sweet grapes come together in this creamy and healthy chicken salad recipe. So easy to whip up for a light dinner or lunch any day of the week.
- Low Carb Chicken Spaghetti | Spaghetti squash is one of my go-to replacements for pasta. Give this creamy and cheesy chicken spaghetti a try tonight.
- Coconut Chicken Tenders| Sweet and savory pair up in this chicken tender recipe. A super simple and easy recipe to whip up for a simple lunch or dinner. Crunchy, sweet, and tender and juicy breaded chicken.
- Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs | A quick and easy marinade that comes together to bring incredible flavor to your chicken. I love this recipe and make it over and over again when we are craving chicken.
Alternatives To Blue Cheese
If you don't enjoy the flavor of blue cheese, you can swap the cheese out in this chicken salad recipe. Feel free to reach for something like Feta cheese, goat cheese, or even mozzarella.
Or skip cheese if you don't want to swap it out with something different. I find the blue cheese works great in this blueberry salad!
Chicken Blueberry Salad
For the dressing:
Remaining Salad Ingredients
- 3 to 4 Chicken Breast skinless, boneless
- 1 11 Ounce Mixed Salad Greens
- 1 4-ounce Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1 Cup Walnuts coarsely chopped
- ¼ Cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Avocados sliced or diced
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
- Whisk or shake together all ingredients for dressing.
- Place chicken in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Pour half of the dressing over the chicken, reserving the remaining dressing for the salad. Seal the bag and toss to coat. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat a double burner grill over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chicken breast and cook until done, about 6 minutes on each side. (Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Check for an internal temperature of 160 degrees.)
- Keep warm but allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare salad with mixed greens, blue cheese, walnuts, red onion, avocados, blueberries, and chicken. Drizzle with remaining dressing and toss to coat.