We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serve up this low carb green chile chicken casserole for dinner tonight. Tender and juicy chicken smothered in a cream cheese green chile sauce, and baked to perfection.
A low carb chicken recipe that the whole family can enjoy. If you have some chicken breast on hand give this green chile chicken a try.
Green Chile Chicken
This is a crowd-pleasing dish that everyone can enjoy. This cheesy chicken dish is one recipe to keep in your arsenal for a quick low-carb THM-S dinner.
Ingredients For Chicken Casserole
- Salt Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Casserole
Start by prepping your casserole dish and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Then you will set the pan to the side.
In a bag you are going to add in all your spices, and then toss your chicken in and shake. You want to make sure the chicken is evenly covered.
Place your seasoned chicken breast in your casserole pan. Then you will move on to the sauce.
In a bowl mix up your softened cream cheese and mix in half the green chile enchilada sauce, sour cream, and a cup of cheese.
Spread over the chicken, and top with the remaining sauce and top with cheese.
Bake your casserole for 50 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Then top with all your favorite toppings and enjoy.
How to Know When Chicken Is Fully Cooked?
You will know when your chicken is fully cooked by taking a meat thermometer and seeing it shows 165 degrees internally.
Make sure to stick in the largest part of the chicken. Otherwise, you can find you may get an inaccurate reading.
Can I Use Bone-in Chicken For This Casserole?
You are more than welcome to use a bone-in chicken. Just make sure you cook your chicken all the way through. I prefer to use a skinless chicken for this recipe.
Now, if you want to do a skin on chicken, then you can pan sear the chicken to create a crust. You just want to brown up the skin a bit. This will provide a better texture.
What Is The Difference Between Red and Green Enchilada Sauce?
You will find you can buy or make homemade sauce whether it is red or green. The biggest difference is the chiles that are used to make the sauce.
Red sauce is made with red chile, and of course, green chile sauce is made with green chiles. Both of these sauces offer different flavor components.
You can also buy different heat factors to the sauce: mild, medium, hot. Feel free to use any of them you would like. For families I recommend doing mild if you have children.
What to Serve With This Casserole
It can be a meal in one, or whip up some cauliflower rice on the side. Or you might even want to serve over a bed of cauliflower mash.
Can I Make This Casserole Ahead Of Time?
If you want to prep this in the morning and then toss it in the oven to bake at dinner go right ahead. Just assemble the casserole, and then place it in a dish and tightly cover it.
Store in the fridge and then place in the oven and bake. Now, add extra time to your cooking time as it will need a bit of time to warm up from being refrigerated.
Then serve just as you would. You can even use an aluminum pan for easy cleanup.
In terms of freezing this casserole, you will find the creamy sauce will not bake up the way you want it to.
Interested in more dinner ideas
- Sausage and Pepper Sheet Pan Dinner – Here is a great sheet pan recipe you can whip up for dinner. A meal in one, that takes minutes to prep!
- Cheesy Cabbage Casserole – This is one of our favorites. If you are a fan of cabbage, you will really enjoy this simple casserole. Loaded with bacon, cabbage, and don’t forget the cheese.
- Lasagna Stuffed Chicken – I love a good stuffed chicken recipe. This recipe here, offers the flavors of lasagna but without the pasta and extra carbs.
- Low Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole – full of vegetables, cheese and flavor, this casserole is one of the most popular recipes on my blog!
Green Chile Chicken
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts , cubed
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Can (28 ounce) Green Enchilada Sauce*
- 1 Can (7 ounce) Green Chiles , diced
- 1 Package (8 ounce) Cream Cheese , softened
- 2 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese , divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a (9×13) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a gallon size freezer bag, shake together the dry seasonings. Add the chicken, sealing the bag. Toss the bag and knead the chicken until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Dump the chicken into the casserole dish, creating an even layer with space between the chunks of chicken if possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Stir in half of green enchilada sauce, green chiles, and 1 cup of cheese. Spread over the chicken layer.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the cream cheese layer and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, the cheese has melted, and the edges are bubbling.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, black olives, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado if desired.