We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lasagna stuffed chicken is a chicken breast stuffed with a cheesy lasagna filling. Mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and more come together for the ultimate chicken ricotta recipe. Toss in the oven and bake to perfection.
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
If you are craving lasagna but want to cut out some extra carbs, try my stuffed lasagna version. There is no pasta, but you have the same flavors of lasagna in every bite.
How to Make Stuffed Lasagna Chicken
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven and spraying your 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Then place some of the sauce on the bottom of your pan.
Step 2: Now you will work on your your filling for the chicken breast. You will mix up the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg and Italian seasoning. Get it all mixed up until it is creamy.
Step 3: Slice your chicken breast in half, making sure to not fully cut through one side, so it creates a pocket. Add a little marinara on the flap. Then put cheese mixture in your chicken as well.
Step 4: Once chicken is stuffed, place in your baking dish. Drizzle chicken with oil and seasoning, and bake uncovered as directed.
How To Know When Chicken Is Done
You will know that your chicken is done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
I suggest using a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken reaches proper temperature. Stick in the thickest part of the chicken to get an accurate reading.
What Is The Best Pasta Sauce to Use
When you make your lasagna stuffed chicken breast you can use jarred store bought pasta sauce, or make your own. I have an Instant Pot spaghetti sauce that is so delicious.
Otherwise, you can buy whatever brand you like. Or if you have dietary restrictions, use whatever fits into your diet.
Craving More Chicken Recipes
If you eat a lot of chicken, you might be looking for fresh recipes to add into the mix. I have a handful of recipes for you to check out. These are some of my family favorites.
- Creamy Basic Chicken Thighs | Here is a great chicken thigh recipe that is also low carb and THM-S approved. Don't let the low carbs fool you, this recipe is bursting with flavor.
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza | I love chicken on pizza. This alfredo pizza is a fun twist, and so creamy and savory. A fun change to the classic pizza recipes out there. Plus it is low carb.
- Low Carb Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas | Craving Mexican? Here is an easy and tasty air fryer chimichanga recipe that you might enjoy. Creamy and cheesy chicken filling in a crunchy wrap.
Can You Meal Prep This Lasagna Chicken
If you are a fan of meal prepping, go right ahead and use this to fill up your week. This ricotta stuffed chicken truly reheats beautifully and will be great to serve up for a quick lunch or even a weeknight dinner.
Pair with some zucchini noodles, Dreamfields pasta, or spaghetti squash or steamed vegetables. I find that larger breasts can be cut in half and made to make 2 servings.
You can reheat quickly in the microwave or if you are not in a hurry place in a baking dish and cover and bake in the oven. I always make sure to cover the chicken or the top will overcook when you go to reheating it.
Can I Swap Ricotta Cheese In Replace of Cottage Cheese
If you are not a fan of ricotta cheese or don't have any on hand, go right ahead and reach for the cottage cheese.
You will find when making even a classic lasagna, these two mixtures can be interchangeable. Just use the same amount of cottage cheese in replace of ricotta cheese in the recipe.
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts butterflied (sliced partially through the width of the chicken breast, allowing one side to remain attached)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese divided
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese divided
- 1 Large Egg
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning divided
- 2 Cups Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place ½ cup marinara sauce in an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, egg, and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning. Mix until completely blended.
- Mix the remaining Italian seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Open the chicken breast and sprinkle lightly with half of the seasoning mixture.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the marinara sauce into the chicken.
- Top with about ¼ cup of the ricotta mixture. Fold chicken over to close and place in the casserole dish.
- Pour oil over the top of the chicken breast and sprinkle with remaining seasoning.
- Bake, uncovered, in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Check the chicken for an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Remove from the oven and reset the oven temperature to Broil, preheating the broiler.
- Using a baster, remove any excess juices or oil from the casserole dish.
- Top the chicken with remaining marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Place the casserole dish under the broiler allowing the cheese to melt and the chicken to cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes prior to serving.