We may earn money from the products/companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fajita Stuffed Chicken will easily be a favorite Mexican stuffed chicken recipe. You have a juicy chicken breast that is stuffed with peppers, onions, jalapeno, and cheese all stuffed into your chicken.
This recipe works great as a Trim Healthy Mama S Fuel that is also low-carb and keto-friendly!
Fajita Stuffed Chicken
You can even cook your fajita stuffed chicken breasts in my air fryer. It was a quick and easy way to sear the outside of the chicken while leaving the inside juicy and full of flavor.
How To Make Stuffed Fajita Chicken
Full directions and ingredients are listed in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick guide on how to make your chicken
Step 1: Start by slicing your chicken leaving one edge uncut, so it makes a pocket with the chicken.
Step 2: Lightly brush your chicken with oil and then roll in the Fajita seasoning. This is going to help the mixture stick to the raw chicken breast.
Step 3: Now you will prep your onions, peppers, and toss in a bowl and mix up.
Spoon some of the mixture into each chicken breast and secure the edge with a toothpick. You will have some of the mixture leftover.
Step 4: Now you will air fry, at 375 degrees for around 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and reaches proper internal temperature.
Step 5: Once the chicken is almost done, remove and top with the remaining pepper and cheese mixture and cook around another 5 minutes. Then remove toothpicks and serve your stuffed chicken.
Can I Bake Chicken In Oven Instead of Air Frying
If you do not own an air fryer, no worries! You can easily bake this chicken in the oven or even pan fry. If you cook in the oven you will do 375 degrees on temperature, and cook for around 30-40 minutes.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. You need it to read 165 internal temperature. If it is not fully done continue cooking.
I love the texture the air fryer gives the chicken, but you do have other options that offer a similar flavor. You can also pan fry with a little oil and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear.
How To Properly Cut Chicken For Stuffing
If you are new to making stuffed chicken recipes, I will share some tips that could be helpful.
I start by patting down my chicken breast to remove any juices on the chicken with a paper towel. Then carefully begin to slice in the middle of the chicken, working your way to one end.
You don't want to cut all the way through, leave a little pocket for the chicken to fold over. This is going to help secure your peppers, onions, and cheese in the center of the chicken.
How To Keep Stuffed From Coming Out Of Chicken
When making any stuffed chicken the key is to not overstuff the chicken. As well as using toothpicks to secure around the edge of the chicken.
The toothpick will pinch the chicken together helping to prevent your filling from coming out.
Topping Ideas For Mexican Stuffed Chicken
The sky is the limit on toppings when it comes to a Mexican Stuffed chicken. I like to think of items we love to use when we serve up any other Mexican inspired recipe.
- Sour Cream
- Salsa or Pico De Gallo
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese
- Black Olives
Interested in More Chicken Recipes
- Low Carb Chicken Taco Soup | Change up Taco Tuesday with this taco soup. Add your favorite toppings and ladle up dinner.
- Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs | If you enjoy chicken thighs, I have a recipe for you. A sweet and savory chicken recipe.
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole | Give this jalapeno popper chicken a try. A creamy and cheesy chicken casserole that is loaded with tons of flavor.
You may also want to try my Low Carb Air Fryer Cheesy Chimichangas!
What To Serve With This Recipe
If you are wanting a lower carb option reach for a cauliflower rice, or even cauliflower mash. Or if you are not low carb go with a Mexican rice or even steamed veggies.
This can be a meal in one if you want, so it is up to you to pair with any and all your favorite side dishes.
Fajita Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Fajita Seasoning
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Make a slit in the side of chicken breasts creating a pocket.
- Brush olive oil on chicken and dip each chicken breast into fajita seasoning.
- Dice bell peppers and jalapeno and add to a medium bowl.
- Add cheese to the peppers and mix.
- Spoon pepper mix into chicken breasts and close securing with toothpicks. Reserve any leftover pepper mix.
- Place into an Air Fryer basket and set temperature to 375 and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and add remaining pepper and cheese mixture over top of the stuffed chicken breasts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with toppings of choice, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce or cilantro!